On October 2nd, Premier Health and University of Dayton unveiled the name and vision for the former Montgomery County Fairgrounds. Planning NEXT was selected by the two institutions, in Fall 2017, to create the vision for this key, 38-acre site near downtown Dayton.
onMain: Dayton’s Imagination District will be a place that fosters imagination, innovation and inclusivity. The long-term vision for the property allows for flexibility but reflects the input of more than 850 members of the community through the broad-based Fairgrounds to Future planning process. Key elements of the vision include:
- A walkable urban neighborhood with places to work, live, learn and gather.
- A focus on creative, innovation and entrepreneurial activities and jobs.
- Mixed-income housing that offers opportunities for residents to live close to where they work.
- Buildings and site improvements that integrate environmental sustainability and wellness.
- Employers, entertainment venues and housing will draw a diverse mix of people who are representative of the broader Dayton community and its vibrant neighborhoods.
- Urban agriculture would be located on land at the western end of the site and on building rooftops.
- The property’s historic Roundhouse is intended to be a focal point of the development and would be connected to Main Street through green space and an event plaza.
- A “catalytic” building would be built at the northwest corner of Stewart and Main streets to spur development.
Beyond the planning phase, Planning NEXT is supporting Premier Health and the University to create a nonprofit development organization to manage the development process and provide day-to-day oversight of the property, as well as dozens of other actions. For more information, visit onMainDayton.com.
Planning NEXT led a consulting team of Ninigret Partners, Stantec, W-ZHA, Zimmerman Volk Associates, Align 2 Market, and Capital Partnerships.
Recent media coverage:
- WDTN 11 p.m.
- ABC22 11 p.m.
- WDTN 5 p.m.
- WDTN 6 p.m.
- WHIO noon
- WKEF (ABC) 6 a.m.
- WRGT Fox 7:30 a.m.
- WRGT (Fox) 7 a.m.
- WKEF (ABC) 5 a.m.
- Dayton Daily News: UD, Premier give fairgrounds new name
- Dayton Daily News: See renderings of the future onMain
- Dayton Daily News: 3 things to know about what’s next for fairgrounds